Sunday, February 25, 2007

Housekeeping

Marilynne Robinson's voluptuous prose drew me into this simple story. Late in the book she asks "When did I become so unlike other people?", and it is the peculiar ones, the outsiders, the transients who shine in Housekeeping. The drowned ones in the lake by Fingerbone hold sway over the tight little town. And where is there room for Ruthie, growing up like her drifter aunt Sylvie, looking like her mother Helen who drove a car into that lake. For Lucille, survival means clothing herself in the appearance of conformity, and fleeing the shifting house built by her railwayman grandfather. This gorgeous little book makes me want to read Robinson's other novel, Gilead. And I'll let you know when I do.

10 comments:

AngryMan said...

The way you described the song sounds a lot like a Tom Waits song.

Joey Polanski said...

Fingrbone reminds me of a diffrent singr.

Cissy Strutt said...

Dickran Gobalian ? Where do you find these people, Joey?

Phoebe Fay said...

Wow. Sounds like another one to my reading list to eternity. Thanks!

Mike said...

I am reading a really crappy book right now called Behind Bars by Ty Wenzel. The writing is absolutely awful but the story is interesting.

I hate when that happens.

Forrest Proper said...

Have not read this yet- they made a quirky little movie out of it a while ago which was very good. I think I have a copy of the book around here somewhere, I'll have to dig it out ("dig" being too near the literal truth for comfort).

Cissy Strutt said...

Thanks, Colonel, I'll look out for the film. I liked Bill Forsythe's Local Hero very much, so that bodes well. Though I am a bit wary of adaptations at the moment, having been stung on the weekend by Perfume. It stank. HaHaHaHaHa. Except the joke was on me. I forked out $12 and now I have those images wedged into my brain.

Forrest Proper said...

It was a very good movie. Of course, I say that not having read the book. But it was good. clever. Well acted and cast. Very low-key. Liked it a lot.

Have you read any Magnus Mills? Bloody brilliant author. Restraint of Beasts is his best, followed by All Quiet on the Orient Express. Both are first-class. Three to See the King is ok, as is The Scheme for Full Employement. But the first two are superb.

Cissy Strutt said...

Magnus is new to me (or I to him). He's now on my Eternity list. (Thanks PhoebeFay for that perfect title for my Books To Read list.)

Bill C said...

I read Gilead! Well, listened. To the audiobook. I'll just say "thumbs up" and leave it at that.

Also I'll add Housekeeping to my to-read list.

Well, to-listen.