Thursday, April 5, 2007

The Two Minute Rule

I love Robert Crais' investigator Elvis Cole and the series of LA-set crime novels in which he appears. Here in The Two Minute Rule, Crais creates a new character, a reformed bank robber trying to go straight, investigating the murder of his policeman son in the face of official stonewalling. I read it. I enjoyed it mildly. The book is well crafted, the characters set up to be interesting. But somehow for me this one doesn't have the Divine Spark of Life. Yes, it is only a crime novel, but the best of the kind are marvelous literature. This is more a quick snack to fill the gap, then forget.

6 comments:

Joey Polanski said...

You can get literary whiplash readin sompm like that aftr readin Henry James!

Cissy Strutt said...

Sometimes I read one book while I'm reading another. Yee-haw.

Phoebe Fay said...

Only a crime novel? Oh don't let anyone cast aspersion on that most blessed of genres! They're my favorite escapism. I'd even say they've saved my sanity a time or two.

AngryMan said...

I have a two-minute rule w/Wifey.

Cissy Strutt said...

Pheebs: You siad it. I can't claim to have read every crime novel ever written, but it'd be close. Read Kate Atkinson's Case Histories if you haven't already.

A.man: Does that leave her one minute to tidy her hair?

AngryMan said...

My two minute rule is applied more to me . . .