Tuesday, March 6, 2007

The End


I have been a faithful reader of Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events since The Bad Beginning. His dark playfulness tickles me in the right places. His love of language is infectious and silly. The dedication in each book to his lost love Beatrice is an object lesson in razor's edge navigation between humour and horror. It was with melancholy satisfaction that I finished The End, the thirteenth and last book in the series. In this one, Snicket (Daniel Handler) displays an encompassing compassion which is moving without being sentimental, and is a perfect grace note to the series.

As always, Brett Helquist illustrates with disturbing charm.

3 comments:

Forrest Proper said...

I've heard him interviewed, I have worshipped him from afar...

I have yet to read one of his books.

Ashamed, I am.

So, it's worth the trip?

Cissy Strutt said...

Very much so. Don't read them all at once. One at a time & savour.

Phoebe Fay said...

I read a couple of them some time back and thought they were great fun. One (or many) of these days, I'll read the rest.