Saturday, May 19, 2007

Due Preparations For The Plague

Here is an uneasy meld of a thriller with the drama of the abandoned child, or in this case, children. A plane is highjacked and all the hostages eventually killed, excepting the children who are offloaded*.

With this one, I really don't know what I think. I would relish hearing the views of any of you who have read it.

Jeanette Turner Hospital is such a great writer, that the strength of the prose alone carried me along. It's a good story, while disturbing. The thriller aspect works only to a certain degree. But I found I didn't really connect with or care for any of the characters - maybe that is deliberate & we are supposed to regard the events dispassionately. Maybe. I like the idea of interconnectedness, and so I enjoyed that aspect of the book. There is a set piece in an underground bunker filled with nerve gas. This section I found poignant and genuinely thrilling, & the part where I was emotionally involved. However, when I finished reading I laid the book down with a "meh".

Anyone else read it?

*This is not a spoiler as we discover this in the first chapter.

1 comment:

AngryMan said...

Where is this "Jeanette Turner Hosptial"? Do you turn left or right to get to it?
But in all seriousness, I have not read the book. Sorry.